Sunday, November 12, 2006

It is raining

Before you read any further, go to Barb's blog and listen to Josh Groban singing "You are loved". It is absolutely wondeful. Why have I never heard of him before?? I had to tell you and I still have no idea what I am going to write now, but it is playing in the background. What a glorious voice. His mother must be so proud. (This is what I say when I listen to Il Divo too!) And while you are there, take a look around Barb's blog. She is quite amazing, and a delight to read.

The weekend started frantically busy and ended quietly. Today is Mum's birthday, and we had a quiet day but nice. She had loads of cards and calls, and we had 6 blackouts this afternoon, which was intensely annoying to everyone, especially David, who was on the computer. This time last year she was whizzing around on Peter's trike in Switzerland. (There are a couple of photos of that in my archives for April 2006 on Friday 21st. ) And no, I did not bake that cake she is clutching. I bought it. I am a failure as a daughter, quite clearly. I did stick the candle in it though. She just loves carrot cake, and so do I. My recipe is stunning, but makes a giant cake, and I would be forced to eat it, wouldn't I, and then I would not be able to waddle. I did cook a roast dinner though. I am now almost word perfect singing along with Josh. Just as well the family is all in bed.

Diana is now in Nelson, South Island, on the start of her holiday with her friend. It was great to talk to her this morning, and she will no doubt have plenty of adventures to relate when she gets back to Wellington in a week. She has built a great life in New Zealand, and is so happy there. I just wish it wasn't quite so far away.

I can think of so many things I could talk about right now, but I am editing them out in my mind as fast as they pop up. I will just say that, as Christmas approaches, things get harder. I always knew they would. I will be taking Mum to Marge in Switzerland in the next few weeks, I think. So many things to think about at the moment. But there is so much to be thankful for.
  1. My mother
  2. Electricity that stays on
  3. Carrot cake for birthdays
  4. The ability to hear
  5. Friends who read between the lines

1 comment:

someone else said...

Josh Groban and Il Divo are both wonderful to listen to. I enjoyed the sound as I read Barb's blog today, too. Just lovely.

How nice to celebrate your mum's birthday together. She looks quite happy in that picture!

I do pray that the holiday season ahead will have special blessings that will take you through them with some comfort and peace in your heart.