Thursday, May 03, 2007

Pacing and prayers

I have cramp in my leg and it is driving me nuts. I know, I know, my mother keeps telling me not to sit on my feet, but I always curl up in the chair, with my feet tucked under me, and then I can't walk when I stand up, and am the cause of much mirth to my family as I totter about trying to restore feeling to said feet. This is now interrupting my pacing, which I am doing as we all wait for updates on Heather. I should be in bed. I can't go till I know she is ok.

So how does a complete stranger come to be so important to me? This , my friends, is the power and blessing of the blogging world. I read the comments on her blog, and I know I am one of countlss numbers of people who have marked today by holding Heather and her family up. Together we can storm the gates of heaven, for the best of reasons.

All the minutiae pale into insignificance, and at times today, I noticed that things that would normally irritate me intensely did not matter. I didn't snarl at the kids I teach (in the face of considerable provocation)... I was calm. I worked, planned coursework, voted, went to a birthday tea, did the weekly shop, and I was, and am, grateful that I could do them all.

9 comments:

Carole Burant said...

I've never been to Heather's blog but I've heard so much about her through the others...I also pray that everything went well with her surgery today. So many of us are praying for her! I had to laugh when you mentioned your leg being asleep because you sit on it...I do the exact same thing and when I get up, my whole leg is asleep! lol xox

Barb said...

It's been noticeably quiet out here today, Linds. I think all of us are just waiting for word that she's OK. Yes, not much of anything seems very important today.

someone else said...

I'm pacing inside as I keep going to her blog to look for updates. It's amazing how it has affected so many people.

Susan said...

My husband and I were even talking about her today. Yes, this blog connects many people everywhere and it is so good to know that people really do care.

Linda said...

Today was the National Day of Prayer here. It seemed very appropriate - as we all prayed for Heather.
I just checked her blog and she is out of surgery. Praise God!! Now we pray for a complete recovery.
You're so right Linds. It puts everything into perspective.

Rita Loca said...

She is on my mind often as well. It makes my problems seem so little!

Butterfly Mama said...

I too noticed the same thing today, that my big things were like a tiny plankton on the sea. Nothing seemed as big as it usually does and boy I'm so amazed at all the people praying for Heather and how she does feel like a friend.

Pam said...

Indeed, it does make one grateful for the normal things of life. I too am hoping for good news of Heather.

And now it's the weekend. Ah... Hope you have a relaxing one.

Dawn said...

It is so true - we all had Heather on our minds and hearts all day and beyond. Sounds like prayer has been answered in a marvelous way!

Thanks for coming by my travelogue. It was so delightful to see America's beginnings in the south. I never dreamed it would affect me so much. Nothing as old as you have in England, but old for us.

Quit sitting on your feet! Let's face it, we're not as flexible as we used to be!! "I've sat on my feet and I can't get up!" Maybe you don't have the commercial that inspired me to say that.