Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Gloom and doom

In the interests of keeping things real, you need to know that I have just spent the past 30 minutes cleaning this desk. That would be because if you knock over a glass of ginger beer, it becomes a swamp. A full glass. All over the computer discs and DVD cases, and notes and ....well, the good thing is that it missed the keyboard. I suppose. I have cleaned and dried it all, so why is my right arm still sticking to the desk top????

This is proving to be a day of mechnical disorder. The hot water, I regret to say, is not quite as hot as one would like, and I do believe that the element needs replacing. So I am adding a few pots of hot water to the bath. This is inconvenient. Especially because I like deep baths, and I lose the will to live after boiling water for more than 5 minutes. Not to mention what the steam is doing to my hair. So deep baths are but a dream right now. Bigger sigh. And then I sat down to watch the latest episode of CSI and the satellite dish is misbehaving. As in, it lets me see 12 seconds of the programme and then switches to 2 mins of blue screen saying "No satellite signal is being received. Error 25." Followed by another 12 seconds etc. Following the plot is a trifle difficult. Perfect.

And in keeping with the general tone of this post, I am being observed on Thursday and the class I am teaching is unteachable. I sense doom. And, I was told today that I do indeed have to do duty every day at lunch time, (I had complained, you see) so I am now off to compose a letter of resignation. I have had enough. I think this job is costing me more than I can afford to pay in terms of health and mental wellbeing. Please feel free to remind me next time, that if I have a funny feeling about something I am considering doing, to STOP! WALK AWAY! NOW! DON'T DO IT!

As I have said before, I always tell my children to choose a career or job which they love. I want them to get up in the morning with a sense of joy and anticipation. What a pity I didn't listen to myself speak.

Ah well, there is always next time.

9 comments:

Dawn said...

Oh, my! What a terrible day. The good news is that you're going to resign that terrible job and get on with life! It sounds worse that the one I had in the middle school 15 years ago, before I told them I'd had enough and went to work at the university - much more to my liking!

Anonymous said...

Sister, we are so in sync!

Lunch duty every day? Not all the money in China could cover that one.

Am a little confused on when exactly you want us to remind you to STOP! WALK AWAY!etc. Was that in reference to you asking to be relieved of some duties, or your desire to write a resignation?

I'm just checking the flights. I reckon I am just about ready in my fix - it - yourself skills to tackle a hot water system. Put the kettle on!

someone else said...

Good for you! I've been wishing on your behalf that you didn't have to go to that place of work. I hope you find the perfect job after this. No one can say you didn't try hard.

Susie said...

So sorry you've had such a bad day. A nice hot soak would have felt good.
I think you've given enough (well more than enough) of yourself to a job that causes you so much stress.
xo

Judith said...

Gloom and doom, indeed! I am sorry about the ginger beer disaster, but if its spilling helped you reach a limit of what you'll endure, then maybe it is worth the sticky mess of it. How proud I am of you. Having to ignore what those students say to you would have done it for me.

I hope the hot water problem gets
better soon, too.

You are such an excellent writer.
Don't let that ungrateful job pull you down.

Jeana said...

It seems to me that every time I have a horrible day it's immediately followed by a wonderful one. So for your sake, I'm looking forward to tomorrow.

Unknown said...

I know that there is a job out there that you will feel good going to. To be honest, I think every job has it's bad side, but nothing like the one you have now. I am sending you lots of positive energy and holding you in my prayers.

Barbara said...

Looks like you are making the right decision.

Having covered my desk and floor last year with a mug of tea I vowed never to leave the said object on the corner of my desk again. Did I ever carry that out. --No! It took so long to clear it up but at least it was not sticky like your ginger beer.

Susan said...

I'm just now getting around again to reading blogs. Sorry you are having so many problems and situations at the current time.
Susan