Saturday, July 05, 2008

The perfect distraction!

My best friend, who has been so much a part of my life forever, it seems, came to visit yesterday. Not unusual?? Well, she and her family live in Auckland, New Zealand. They are on holiday. So they came to see me! I can't tell you how wonderful it was. And always is. It is nearly a year since I saw her in New Zealand, and got to discover the world she lives in for myself. Instead of imagining it all.

This is the other Linds I have talked about many times before - the friend I made in the first year at uni in res back in the dark ages. The friend who married and had her family at the same time I did, and who I can call any time of the night or day. Even if she lives on the other side of the world. Near my daughter, which is wonderful, because there is a "mum" I trust implicitly close by!

We share so much history. So we sat on the couches, looked at photos, laughed, drank tea and coffee, watched the tennis, and it was a lovely time. Nothing changes, except for the lines and creaks of our not-18-year-old-any-more bodies! I wish you could have seen her face as I hobbled with the crutch through the restaurant last night. She looked at me with a grin and didn't have to say a word. I said something along the lines of "say it and you are SO dead..." and she laughed. The next time we go to a restaurant, I will be wearing high heels and doing pirouettes. (Which could well have me back in the same knee postion again I suspect.)

Perfect distraction. Wonderful time. I love my special friends!

3 comments:

Susan said...

Nothing like "forever" friends. I've had mine 64 years and I know exactly what you mean.
Susan

Vee said...

I love that Linds "showed up" at just the right time...some things truly are providential. Have a lot of fun, you two!

someone else said...

What a treat!! There isn't anything quite like the bond that exists between long-time friendships.