Saturday, September 19, 2009

It is quiet here now......

So here I am rattling around in an empty house once again. The last time I was here alone was before David's Easter break in April. And guess what? My neighbour has just taken down her old rickety shed which used to be on my boundary. So it is gone. Now I am waiting for the new fence to go up. Soon, I hope.

Where was I....

David is back at uni. The house he is sharing with 3 others is actually double the size I thought it would be, and very nice indeed. Not far from the campus either. The kitchen is huge, and there is a reasonable lounge as well for them to sit in. So often there is no "gathering" room or space at all, so this is great. And it has a little garden too, which a garden service sees to, so even better. The others had not arrived when he got there, but after getting him stocked up with vital essentials like food and cleaning stuff, I left him to settle in and see his friends, and I headed off to Andrew and Ann, and little Missy, of course.

She took one look at me when I walked in and said hello, screwed up her little face and wailed. In fact, every time she looked at me, she wailed. Sigh. Just as well I was prepared for this. The look was one of total measuring up and being found wanting. However, by the time I said goodbye to her this morning, I had managed to get a grin or 2. And she did sit on my lap for all of 5 minutes, providing her Mum or her Dad were right there next to me. She has grown so much and changed as well in the few weeks since I last saw her. Blink, and everything changes!

Andrew and I did a run to Sainsbury's at dawn, and then we all skyped with Diana for a while, and that was lovely. Missy rather fancied eating the camera. Then off we poddled to Costco, and that was where I said goodbye and headed home. The traffic was a nightmare, with loads of stopping and starting, so consequently, I am a wreck, and need a nap. Urgently. However, I have been watching the shed come down, and wondering if the fence will stay upright. Priorities, you know.

The washing machine has been doing its thing, and I will consider the cleaning tomorrow. Or maybe not. Acupuncture at the pain clinic (at the hospital where I had the worm thingy) starts on Monday. I have no known phobia about needles, so we will see if there is any benefit from it. I live in hope. Anything is worth a try.

The couch is calling, people - I am off to snooze.

5 comments:

Crystal said...

It's a bit of a bittersweet thing when the kids leave to go back to school, isn't it?! I'm glad you could see the place where he lives - and visit the others, even if your reception from Missy was less than desirable. Wouldn't it be wonderful to see her every few days so she would grow to know you?!!! This too will pass and the next phase will be likely be better. You will get to be buddies :)) Sounds like your neighborhood has had lots of changes in yards this summer. Maybe you can show us some pictures - please???! Praying that the next week is blessed, LInds!

Unknown said...

Have you considered each of you getting a webcam and visiting regularly via video? Maybe Missy would more readily recognize you then. They really aren't very expensive and we do that with our granddaughter who lives quite a distance away.

Linds said...

Hi, Debbie! Yes, we do both have cameras, and we arrange to skype so she does get to see me. I think it is just a stage she is going through at the moment, and no doubt she will grow out of it sometime soon! Thanks!

Dawn said...

Best wishes with the new procedure. I sure hope it helps.

You said to let you know when I have a new post up - so I am doing that!

Needled Mom said...

It must be strange to be rattling around in the quiet house after all this time.

I am sure that it must be a stage that Missy is in that she has that reaction to you. Don't worry, she will grow out of it soon enough. That Skype thing is absolutely wonderful for them. It's great that you were all able to Skype with Diana too. It is such an amazing service.

Hope the rest felt good and the fence goes up quickly.