Wednesday, February 24, 2010

An uninvited lodger.....

Life is full of excitement here, my friends...... the wrong kind of excitement. I have a small mouse in residence. I know this, because I caught a glimpse of it helping itself to a Swiss chocolate easter egg last night, and nearly unveiled a hitherto undiscovered ability to walk on air. The roadrunner had nothing on me.

This is obviously a mouse with a discerning palate. Swiss chocolate. I managed to bring home 3 small Easter eggs in my luggage intact, and then dropped 2 when I unpacked and broke them. The mouse has decided it will only eat the whole one. I have seen the tooth marks, and am less than impressed.

And, after a trip to the DIY shop with Jean, my house is now littered with mouse traps. I have also experienced the joys of having the trap sprung on my thumb. The mouse has no chance. And I have taken to wearing the snow boots indoors to protect the toes.

I do not like rodents. No matter how small and cute they may seem. And I will not cohabit with any form of rodent. They need to leave. So the doors are firmly closed, and the traps are baited with the rest of the Swiss chocolate, and hopefully they will work. Or I will need to acquire a cat. Heaven only knows how it got indoors, and where, because there are no holes in the walls, and the doors and windows are closed. I have been prowling around the outside looking for possible entry points. Nothing.

So I am poised and waiting for the traps to work. Then I will have to call someone to get rid of it, because I am absolutely NOT disposing of a dead mouse. {{Shudder}}. And heaven help me if it has a family with it.

I am SO not able to relax and rest, as you can see. I am approaching basket case level here. Mice...rodents......UGH.

8 comments:

Needled Mom said...

Oh my dear!!! How dare it enjoy your cherished egg! I hope you can catch it quickly.

Crystal said...

I feel exactly the same!! Baiting traps with peanut butter works really well. They have to stop to lick instead of grabbing and running. Good luck with the catch - hopefully it will come quickly and you can relax again.

P.S. If I have to deal with a trapped mouse, I use a very long broom handle and shovel the trap and all into a garbage bag! I figure a $1 trap is a small price to pay for avoiding touching it. I just can't bring myself to it!

Chris said...

Feeling your pain. We ALWAYS have at least one family in residence during the year. I NEVER deal with the dearly departed. That's what neighbors, husbands and sons are for.

Vee said...

Yes, I know how awful it can be. Must say that since the carpenter moved in and patched those entry spots, I've not seen any more activity. Two cats in residence help as well. Hang tough! You can do this! (I have to toss the trap and all. I figure those traps are cheap enough.)

Janine said...

Shan had a pet rat called Snuggles who was much loved. He was really cute too and quite intelligent. Pity I'm not over there - I don't mind rodents at all!

K said...

I don't mind rodents, either. Or I much prefer live ones to dead ones.

When our guinea pigs moved in, we took a little while to get used to the scutterings and squeaks that go on, particularly at night. And we love them. So I suppose I can understand how people might not like them - though our guests have always been most understanding. Even my mother-in-law, who doesn't like beasties. She even gave one a cuddle last time she was here!

Olson Family said...

Best of luck in eliminating your houseguest - so sorry to hear about the egg :(.
Hope the weekend finds warmer weather approaching for you as you settle back into home.

Pam said...

The only time we had mice, we used a humane trap. This worked well though you have to sprint quite fast from the bottom of the garden to get back into the house before the mouse does.