Tuesday, April 27, 2010

A finite amount of space.......

Apple blossom on the tree. There is masses of blossom this year, so hopefully that will mean many apples later on!
I have concluded, my friends, that my planting plans do not coincide with the size of my garden. At all. This is the horticultural equivalent of my eyes being bigger than my stomach.

Once upon a time, many moons ago, I had a reasonable sized garden, and then we extended the house. The planning officer told me to go as big as I wanted, because, Mrs Linds, you will use the rooms all year round, and the garden maybe just for a few weeks a year. And I knew he was right, so we went big. And don't get me wrong, I love my big airy kitchen-family room. I do indeed.

However, those were the days when I had not yet discovered that I could actually grow things and not kill them and that they would be beautiful and bright, and good heavens, I could grow stuff to eat too! And the washing line had to go because it interfered with the roses, and hanging baskets festoon every available wall, and troughs, and pots, and raised beds.......

The shed went last year, and the garden was re-arranged to accommodate the squirrel fortress, and so the new chairs arrived, and here we are. I HAVE NO ROOM. Too many pots, with too many beautiful things growing, and too many seedlings, and too many greenhouses and the sun is a factor, so they all need to be in the same place, and....

I need a double-decker garden. Maybe I could expand onto the roof - the new flat one I just had repaired......
Those sticks in the background are where my peas will grow. And there is the squirrel fortress on the left with the potatoes and spinach growing inside. Hahahahahahaha! Linds=1 Squirrels=0.

In the background on the left, you will see the tomato greenhouse - the one with the 3 sticks sticking out the top. It was in a box in the shed. I have had it for years I think, and never opened it but I bought it when it was on sale, and I am delighted I have it now. So today it went up, and the new chairs have NO ROOM. But my tomatoes will grow in the sun.

The tulip pots have veg seeds in them too, so once the tulips are over, the broad beans etc should take their place. And I have flower seedlings exploding in the greenhouse which will go in the pots too. My gem squash seeds I kept from last year have finally started growing as well. They go in a growbag on the top of the shed. I am nothing if not inventive. They climbed the wall last year, and hopefully will do the same this year.

And I gave in and replanted the peas. At book club last night, some of my experienced vegetable growing friends mentioned that the mice had eaten their peas, so I made an educated guess at the fact that my ex-mice had eaten mine too. The beds are now netted and I will be sitting there with a blunderbuss to exterminate any rodent who tries to eat the new lot.

Speaking of book club - it was here last night, and I excelled myself - I had not read a thing for book club. Other things, yes, but the book club things? That would be no. And all 10 of us were present and correct, which is highly unusual. The only thing that saves me is that I actually started the book club all those years ago, so they can't kick me out. Mind you, I am at the stage where I think that it is time to move on and try something different, seeing that books and I are not a great combination at the moment. I just can't remember what I read. the focus thing is wonky.

The nibbles were good though.

It is the most beautiful of days today, and I can't believe how different my attitude to the day is when the sun shines, and the doors are open and the fresh air is gently blowing through the house. I just love it. Jean and I popped up to the wonderful garden centre in the next village this morning, and had coffee and fruit scones - their restaurant is superb. I could hardly dare to look left or right as we walked through the rows of plants, seedlings, climbers, flowers..... I wanted to buy them all. But back to the moan earlier - I have run out of space. Maybe I should just move to Switzerland and fight my sister for her enormous garden. I could have a little wooden house in the corner, and dig.

Hmmmmm........ you never know......

And don't remind me of the allotment. I know. I have one, and it is at the bottom of the village, but it is not outside my door, and I have to drive there, and yes, I do know how lucky I am and there is stuff growing on it, but there are rabbits who eat things, and I just want it to be here at my house.

And on that note, I will go and take up position as sentry next to the peas.

6 comments:

Needled Mom said...

I am absolutely amazed at the amount you can grow in such a small space. Having it right outside your door is so much more practical than down the in the village.

Your apple blossoms are just beautiful. What will you do with all of the apples this year? I wonder if the cold weather made the difference.

Laurie in Ca. said...

I love this post Linds!! I am at the same point you are and gardening and getting dirty is so good for the soul after a long winter hibernation. I garden around all the shade that the trees provide, so it is more ferns and tropicals and hydrangeas and lilys. I have been scrambling around moving plants after all the yardwork my son did here in March. I cut back my vines, many jasmine vines, and now some light is getting to the plants below. I love "living" outdoors when the weather is great. Have a wonderful week and enjoy your garden. It is beautiful!!

Love and Hugs, Laurie

Dawn said...

Talk about efficient use of space! I love it that veggies will grow after the tulips are gone.

I am like you with sun vs. clouds. Yesterday I got absolutely nothing done, as I sat around in kind of a funk of cloudiness, mind body and spirit. It started out so nice, then the clouds moved in AGAIN. Today and tomorrow are supposed to be wonderful, then back into the fridge again - tiresome!

Vee said...

You have become a master gardener! I need to take lessons.

Currently, I am fighting a baby groundhog who thinks it lovely to eat the lilies and the rhubarb leaves, even though I'm quite sure that they are poison. I've taken to dumping kitty litter (used of course) into his holes and I pray that it'll offend him silly.

Good luck with the netting and I think you must be a great friend to have for I know that you share your bounty.

Crystal said...

Your garden is so lovely! And the apple blossoms are one of my favourite things about spring :) It's very cold here again (+3 at 9 p.m.) so I hope they stay hidden for a few more weeks or they'll be frozen. I just thought of something - have you tried books on tape? My daughter loves them - she even downloads them from the library online, onto her iPod and listens while doing housework or biking. I know some of our book club members who do lots of driving do this too. Maybe that will be helpful for you. ((( HUGS )))

Olson Family said...

You offer a wonderful picture of multi-purpose gardening in a small space. I work at keeping myself in control with the space we have. If I continue to cultivate more, I have more clean up to do/weeding and there are just not enough hours in my day with other responsibilities. Enjoy every moment out of doors and enjoy Marge's handiwork when you're in Switz.!