Sunday, June 26, 2011

Such a beautiful day!

It is the MOST beautiful day today, and I have been nodding off under the apple tree in the shade, just sitting there and loving being amongst all the beautiful flowers. I did try to put up my new sunshade, but discovered that the parasol stand is too small for it. So I need to get a new stand. However, that costs twice the price of the sunshade. Makes no sense to me at all, but there you go.

Coffee after church this morning went well, and the chocolate fridge cake seemed to be a hit.  It is the simplest of recipes -
200g butter
4 Tbsps golden syrup
2 Tbsps cocoa powder

Melt the above in a big bowl over a pot of hot water

Add
400g packet of digestive biscuits (or any plain biscuit like Marie, tennis, rich tea  - I think graham crackers work too, though I have never seen them in my life .....etc etc) crushed in a freezer bag with a rolling pin. Not crumbs, just small pieces
A handful of raisins, sultanas, cherries  or what ever you want. Nuts too. Or none of these extra options. It is entirely up to you.

Mix the biscuits into the melted chocolate mix and press down into a cake tin lined with tin foil. Squish with a potato masher and then

Melt 150g chocolate with 30g butter.
Pour over the biscuit mix and shove in to the fridge for at least 2 hours. Overnight if you can bear to wait.

Cut into small squares. It is VERY rich, and enjoy! Keep in the fridge - it will be good for at least a week, but I guarantee it will not last that long.

And now I need to go and marinate the meat. BBQ time this evening! Have a great Sunday!

5 comments:

Needled Mom said...

Sitting under the apple tree sounds like the perfect way to spend the day.

Vee said...

Enjoying the flowers, the apple tree, the beautiful day, and a BBQ. Days just don't get much better than this. Thanks for the recipe. I wonder what true digestive biscuits are in the U.S. I'd not want to waste a recipe with regular old graham crackers. I'll do some Googling.

Stripeyspots said...

I remember chocolate fridge cake. Delicious!

Janine said...

Oh, my! I think I gained 5 lbs just looking at the deliciousness!!! And your day sounded lovely. :)

Crystal said...

It was a gorgeous day here too - sun shining, flowers blooming, the lake as smooth as glass this evening. A perfect day to celebrate Meadow's 5th birthday! I hope your week is just as fine!