Monday, February 13, 2012

Daughters.......

I am beginning to dream of Spring, and the garden. It is all those green shoots popping up bravely out of the snow and ice which fuel the dream. The sight of life in what was a barren wasteland is always amazing. How do they survive? An annual miracle. And a reminder of circles and also of hope and faith.

I know what I am talking about.

Today is my daughter's birthday. It seems just yesterday that I wrote about her last birthday here. A whole year ago? How did that happen?  I am happy to report that I skyped with a girl with a happy smiling face (complete with new bag and scarf) (from her friends) (because I am a dreadful mother and her present is yet to be posted) (bought) and she was all set to have a lovely day. And now her birthday is over in NZ but here it is still in full swing.

Funny how that makes a difference to me. It is her birthday while it is the 13th. Last night, the entire family was queued up to skype with her, and that was fun, trying to get us all in line in different places. And the delight was listening to her phone and computer constantly beeping with messages throughout the skype chat too. And seeing her grin.

She is loved. She knows she is loved.

So she bounced out the door on a lovely summer's day to celebrate another year of her life. Make that LIFE. Diana lives life to the full and at a hectic pace too. All that mattered to me, though was that smiling face and the happy girl. In the last year she has acquired another qualification, logged thousands of miles on flights around the country for Soul Survivor, explored the South Island and juggled a multitude of jobs and friends and church and kayaks and goddaughters and creativity and ........ this is my daughter.

Happy Birthday, sweetie - I love you loads and loads.
MDS xxx


6 comments:

Dawn said...

She sounds like a wonderful person - wish you could be close to her, but am happy she is living such a fulfilling life where she is. Today is Kev's birthday as well, as we "discuss" every year on this date. I did a little FB tribute to him, as well as the annual blog post. I need to do a more definitive post about him, though! I am so thankful that he and Angie truly have a marriage not, not just "married." What an answer to so many prayers!

Have a wonderful rest of the day! And Happy Birthday to Diana and Kevin!

Vee said...

She is her mother's daughter after all... Happy Birthday to her!

Needled Mom said...

YES....she knows she is loved!!!! A very happy birthday to her and best wishes for a fabulous year ahead.

Stripeyspots said...

I agree. Her mother's daughter. And I remember little Diana. It can't be that long ago...

Linda said...

She sounds like a pure delight Linds.
Happy Birthday to Diana.

Pam said...

Happy Birthday to Diana. I hope you meet up before too long. You know how I feel about daughters...