Tuesday, August 21, 2012

So here is a little of what has been going on in August around here.....

Hello there. I have not forgotten you. I have, in fact started a great many posts in the past 3 days, but they all seem to be a jumble of things, so, in order to make things simple and get back to normal, I thought that some photos would be good. This post will be the first of the photo ones and then tomorrow we will have the rest. I think. Maybe for the next few days. We will see. 

And the computer gizmos have arrived!!! The Internet has re=entered my study!!  I am back on the old faithful ancient computer! The one which does not make my words jump all over the place when I hover over the trackpad and find that I am typing garbage all over the screen and never where it should be. 

So, remember the "nook" ? I still can't think of a suitable name..... Well, here is it in the evening. The mirror is up and I have yet to decide what to do on the other wall. I have some ink drawings which would look good. Maybe. 
 And in daylight. It is a really good place to sit, and we can get far more people around it than I ever thought possible, which is a mega bonus, of course. I am so thrilled that it worked out, just as I planned. And even more so because everyone loves sitting there.

Moving on.....

At least twice a week, I have been freezing veg from the garden, especially the French beans and yellow beans. And the courgettes (zucchini) as well. I dice or grate that for soups, stirfry or the crockpot. The bean harvest has been excellent and it still continues. AND I get to eat fresh beans each day too!
 Courgettes, french and yellow beans, broad beans and gem squash..............
  
The gem squash and butternut squash are thriving down at the allotment. All i need to do is keep an eye on where they are heading next as they ramble all over the place. I have had so many gems squash already and am absolutely thrilled! On a more tragic (to gardeners) note, 3 of my tomato plants have developed tomato blight, so the rest are very probably doomed. I have thrown away the 3 plants, and have cut the tomatoes off the other ones to see if I can ripen them indoors and also to see if they too will develop blight. I hate it when things go wrong in the garden and it is nothing I could have prevented. 

Sigh.

Now.........

Remember I told you I emptied the fabric into the lounge? Well, this is one of the photos of the piles I had sorted. By no means all of them, but you will note that space is at a premium. Yes. And you will also note that I was watching the Olympics as I worked. I can still multi-task a little.....
 And when the sorting was done, I started packing the fabric onto the shelves in the sewing room. I initially had plans for 2 of the 4 book cases to be used. Hmmm. I was sadly mistaken. All 4 of them have been used and this is a photo of the small bookcases. The other two are monsters. Huge. And full of fabric. But it is sorted in colour and also in size. That means that the fat quarters are separate to the bulk fabrics. These would be the small fat quarters. And see that shelf there on the bottom left? The one with the blue thing rolled up on top of the plastic drawers? Everything on that shelf is a UFO. Unfinished Object. Groan. I didn't remember most of them. 
Oh, the delight of being organised. We will overlook the creaking bones today. It still makes me smile, and right now, I remember where everything is. Maybe I should draw a map or something, because as sure as anything around here, I will have forgotten in the next few weeks. 
 And then there was the Olympics. A Games for Everyone. What a triumph for London, and how incredibly it lifted the spirits of a weary nation. Didn't you love watching the joy on the faces of the athletes? The venues were amazing, and the entire thing was a million times better than anyone expected it to be - especially the travel and the friendliness of everyone. And if you haven't seen this yet, you HAVE to watch. Hysterical, and only in Britain. In fact I will add it later. It is just fabulous.................... OK, so I have posted it separately just after this post. You MUST watch the whole thing!

So where was I.........
Balloons! The Balloon Festival nearby took place on Saturday, and here are a couple of them floating over my garden. Beautiful, aren't they? 
My garden - some things died, some lived. Some are disasters and some triumphs. My dahlias are lovely.
 And as I sat there on Sunday afternoon, feet on the coffee table, relaxing amidst all the colour, I noticed that my nail varnish was a disaster, so I sat down, started painting the toes, and the doorbell rang. I wish you could have seen me hobbling across the carpet with toes sticking up in the air. My visitor was instructed to make the coffee while I finished the painting. I am such a welcoming hostess......

But this is the best bit, getting to enjoy any slight warmth in the air, outside in the garden. Ignoring the dying tomato plants. Blinkers are good. 

There is a lot more, but gather the tissues before you watch the next post, because you will cry with laughter.......

2 comments:

Vee said...

The nook looks so wonderful. Oh, I'm very happy that everyone enjoys being tucked in to that corner. (I always prefer a booth over a table myself.) What a great lot of sorting of fabric you accomplished. I can not imagine having so much, though I have much too much myself and the oddest thing is...I like what's on the store shelves better than what I just bought on those very store shelves last week. I'm afraid I don't understand the humor of the Happiest Olympics Worker...what am I missing...you know, besides everything. ☺

Debbie said...

You've been working very hard! Great job, Linds. The nook is very inviting and you have outdone yourself with all the organizing. Fabulous!!