Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Where is Ty when you need him.........

In what is going to be the flavour of the summer, here we go with The House Renovation - Day 1, minus the great army of people and the cruise as in the TV programme, of course! 

Well, you see, yesterday evening, as in after 6pm, I had a call to say that the new doors and windows were arriving today and that they would be starting work at 8am. This is a few days earlier than expected. And what you don't know is that after I hit "publish", I packed 7 boxes of the contents of the linen cupboard (not all linen, I hasten to add - my quilt collection, season change stuff etc) and sat back feeling very clever.

They were all piled neatly in front of every door and window which is being replaced today.

Not every door or window is being changed, I hasten to say. Just those needing replacement. Or panes of double glazing which have popped.  To me, the extension of our house is still the new part. I think of it as new. It is now 17 years old and I am told it is OLD. Hmmm. Things lasted back in the old days. Why do I sound like my grandmother? Ah. That could be because I am indeed a grandmother.

So, last night, David was moving water butts and compost bins and garden furniture, and we had to find space for the mountain of now totally in the way boxes. And I have been up since dawn. They are wrestling mother's bedroom window out as I speak. I must go and take more photos.

Window out. Rest of house still standing. You never can tell, you know. (Are you enjoying the blow-by-blow report here?)

image

I am in need of more coffee.

And a steam mop.

The new window is going in now. I have made more tea and coffee. The sun has vanished. Dinner prep has begun. I am a little distracted by the footsteps up and down the stairs and the voices, and finding something interesting to relate has escaped me for the moment. 

I will be back.






5 comments:

Needled Mom said...

Living through the changes is the biggest challenge. You will love it when you are finished.

Vee said...

What a lovely large window upstairs! Tell me that's your sewing room...wouldn't it be lovely to sew in front of such light?

Kelli said...

I know someone you can put to work in a few weeks Hold tight, more help is on the way!

Cait O'Connor said...

I have enjoyed catching up here. I love Brixham, I spent many childhood holidays there and visited it again this year - my brother has moved to Devon. Belated birthday wishes to you.

Pam said...

You have my sympathy... but it'll all be worth it in the end.

Lovely pic of you and your dad. Sigh.