Wednesday, February 03, 2016

In which I continue the white goods search......

Our exciting routine has meant yet another dentist appointment (Mum) today,  and that was followed by a quick trip Down South to get a few things from Ikea, Tiger and John Lewis. Like a tumble dryer to actually enable us to have dry clean clothes. An essential, one feels. 

My constant dithering makes these epic trips. Where is the woman who used to do the research, decide on an option and then go ahead and buy things without humming and hahing and vacillating back and forth endlessly? 

Lost. 

It is now a major mess when I have to decide. I try to out-think myself, and it is always a disaster. I nearly changed the decision once I was there, and then reverted to the initial one, written down in my book, moments before I paid the saleslady. Tuesday. We will have a tumble dryer on Tuesday. 

I also started a discussion re the oven. Bear in mind that mine has been 85% broken for the past 4 years, and using it is a hit and miss affair, and you will understand why the acquisition of a new one is rather urgent. In my defence, I have attempted to buy one a good many times over the past 2 years, but the sales team at our local JL has been less than stellar, and not very interested. 

But that was then, and this is today. 

I asked about ovens. I have an electric oven and a gas hob. I like the combination. It suits me. Well, apart from the time when I set fire to my hair by accident. That was not good. I like the instant heat - cooking speeds up. 

However, buying a new oven is not that simple. I am mortified by that state of mine. I will also need a new extractor hood and hob. But I can't even go there at the moment. The oven is top of the list of essentials right now. 

And then they change the rules. Safety measures.  Free space surrounding the appliance. New switches. Different amps. Check plugs. Oy. I have visions of being told I need an entire new kitchen to accommodate the new rules re ovens. Stoves. Things to cook on. So the oven I liked, I am told is old stock now. New ones are "better". Some say pyrolytic cleaning is best, some say catalytic lining is best. 

And the dithering grinds on. 

The ones I fell in love with (can one love an oven???) are not the ones I went to check out. But they have more complicated rules attached to them. And, of course, elevated prices. I have a list of measurements I am supposed to take, and the lady will call me on Friday and we will discuss what is allowed now and what is not. I am not thrilled that I can't just get one and install it. Scratch that - have it installed. 

So we came home for a late lunch and a nap. The brain is addlepated. 

I will be back tomorrow and I promise we will not talk about appliances. Not even once. 

1 comment:

Vee said...

Oh but I like talking about new appliances. I don't enjoy forking over the money they cost. I do not quite understand the lingo involved with your new oven, but perhaps when it is installed, you will point out the particulars. No Aga for you? I have often imagined myself cooking on an Aga. They probably cost an arm and a leg.